Monday, February 22, 2010

Dinner Tonight...

So here's what's happenin in my world.. Dinner tonight was great. I used a new one of Rachael's recipes and it was pretty good. Shane and Althea enjoyed it but I could not get Andrew to try this one.

Warm Ginger Carrot Slaw

http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=922

Ingredients

2 Tbs vegetable oil (I actually chose to use 2 Tbs of sesame oil.)
1 small savory cabbage (1 1/2 lbs) (I used 1 1/2 lbs of red cabbage.)
1 bunch scallions
1 cup snow peas (a couple of handfuls)
1/4 cup honey (eyeball it) (I chose to eyeball it this time too.)
3 Tbs cider vingegar (eyeball it) (Again I eyeballed it this time too.)
3 Tbs pickled ginger, drained and thinly sliced, found in Asian food isle (I could not find pickled ginger in my grocery store so I used about 1 tsp of ground ginger instead.)
1 sack store-bought shredded or juliene cut carrots (10 ounces)
salt and pepper

Preparation

Cut cabbage into quarters, and cut away the core. Shred the cabbage and set aside. Cut cleaned, trimmed scallions into 3-inch lengths. Pile scallions lengthwise and juliene them into thin strips. Pull the threads from the ends of the snow peas and juliene into thin strips, lengthwise, like the scallions.

Drizzle honey into a small bowl. Add vinegar and combine with a fork.


Heat a non stick skillet over high heat. Add 2 Tbs oil, two turns of the pan. Add pickled giner and cut carrots and stir fry for two minutes. (I chose to use 1/2 tsp of ginger stirred into the oil before adding the carrots...the other 1/2 tsp of ginger I stirred into the honey and vinegar.) Add cabbage and stir fry 2 mins more. Fluff and toss the veggies with tongs so they stay dry and crisp while cooking. (I used a spatula and mine turned out fine this way.) Add scallions and snow peas and stir fry another minute. Add honey and vinegar combination, pouring it all around the pan in a slow stream. Cook the liquids down 30 secs more and turn off the heat. Continue to toss the slaw and season it with salt and pepper to taste.

With this delicious warm slaw I chose to have some yummy home-made egg rolls. The following is my personal recipe for home-made egg rolls.

Egg Rolls

Ingredients

1/2 head of green cabbage
5 crimini mushrooms
2 scallions
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp garlic salt
oil, for frying
egg roll wrappers

Preparation

To begin get your vegetabls ready. Take the 1/2 head of green cabbage and slice it into thin slices and then cut into small shredded pieces. Then take the crimini mushrooms and slice them and then cut them into small pieces. After that take your scallions and cut into small sections and then cut them lengthwise in a juliene style cut. Mix the soy sauce, ginger and garlic salt and pour over the cabbage mixture. Take the mixture and place in an egg roll wrapper and wrap it up. Then fry them in the oil until golden brown on the first side, turn them over and fry on the second side until golden brown on this side as well.

This was all served with jasmine rice. I used Rachael's suggestion from her television show to reduce the amount of water. I found the rice to be cooked perfectly. Thanks for such an amazing tip for fresh healthy rice, Rachael. This one is sur eto be used time and time again.

No comments:

Post a Comment