Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Tuesdays Lunch

Tuesdays are my night to be at school so I am unable to cook supper for my family. So I decided that I would cook lunch on those days.

Tuesday's lunch was Tortellini Soup from you guessed it, right? Rachael Ray.

The lunch was delicious.

5 Ingredient Meal: Tortellini Soup

http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=3186

Rachael says that this soup serves two, however we had it serve six, so I guess portions are different depending on who you are.

Ingredients

1 quart chicken broth (I used vegetable stock instead since Shane is allergic to fowl.)
1 bag tortellini (16 oz), dried or fresh, regular or whole wheat (I actually used frozen as it was a lot cheaper than fresh and I am not a big fan of dried.)
1 bunch of spinach
zest of 1 lemon
freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (I used shredded parmesan.)

Preparation

Place a medium pot over medium high heat and bring stock to a boil. Drop the tortellini into the pot and cook, according to the package directions. In the last 30 seconds of cooking, add the spinach and lemon zest to the pot. Season with salt and pepper and garnish each serving with cheese before serving.


The soup really surprised me as it was really really yummy. I don't usually like vegetable stock in soups as I always preferred chicken broth, but since that is no longer an option to me I was forced to use the vegetable stock and it was delicious.

Both Althea (my 19 mos old daughter) and Shane both enjoyed this dish as well. I ended up eating the leftovers as dinner on Wednesday night.

I cheated on the diet Tuesday night by ordering some cheese pizza from Aurelio's...yummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment