Saturday, February 20, 2010

Tonight's Meal

Well tonight's meal was good. I had to make some different changes on the dish that I chose from Rachael tonight as I was not happy with the original flavor. I am going to her recipe 1st and then post my own so you can see what I ended up with. Sorry, Rachael but this one was just not for me. However, my dr'd up version was really good, perfect for my taste and it all spawned as an idea from your recipe.

Sweet-Hot Slaw

http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=2095

Ingredients

2 Tbs sugar
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
one 1 inch piece of ginger sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 Tbs tamari (dark soy sauce)
1/2 tsp cumin
1 lb nappa cabbage, shredded
2 bell peppers in varied colors, thinly sliced
1 red jalepeno chille or Thai chille, fine chopped

Preparation

In a small saucepan, dissolve sugar in vinegar over low heat. Stir in ginger and garlic. Transfer to a bowl and add tamari and cumin. Let stand for 2 mins and then discard the garlic and ginger. Add the cabbage, bell peppers and jalapeno and toss to coat.

My version of the Sweet-Hot Slaw

1/2 head green cabbage, sliced into bite sized pieces
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 jalepeno, finely chopped
4 Tbs sugar
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
juice from 1 lime
salt and pepper

I combined the peppers and cabbage in a bowl. I then cooked the vinegar and sugar over low heat until combined with the finely chopped garlic. I then added in the sesame oil and the lime juice. I added in some salt and pepper to taste. I then served it with fresh black pepper as well.

Vegetable Curry (my own personal recipe)

Ingredients

1 bunch green onions,green and white parts cut into bite sized pieces (mine were rather fat so I haved the white parts)
1 red onion, cut into bite sized pieces
8 oz package of sliced baby bella or crimini mushrooms
1 green pepper, cut into bite sized pieces
1 red pepper, cut into bite sized pieces
1 yellow pepper, cut into bite sized pieces
4 jalapeno peppers, fine chopped
3 cloves garlic, fine chopped
2 cans red curry paste
2 cans coconut milk

Preparation

To start add the coconut milk to a large pot and stir in the curry paste. Turn on the burner on high heat. Allow the curry and coconut milk to come to a boil. Add in the veggies and cook for about 15 mins on medium heat or until the mushrooms have been cooked.

I served this over some instant brown rice. Since I don't have a rice cooker I choose to use the instant rice instead.

The curry was delicious although it is very spicy. If you are not a fan of spices you might want to leave out the jalepenos, seed them or even reduce to just one can of red curry paste. We prefer our curry spicy. The slaw was also delicous after my doctoring but some of you might prefer it the original way. It just wasn't what was on my mind for my taste buds.

All in all the meal was easy and quick to prepare. The majority of my time was spent cutting up the veggies.

If you try my recipe or Rachael's please let me know what you think. I'd enjoy hearing from you about the things that I have cooked and how you have enjoyed them yourself.

I also should state that I have recently become a vegetarian and so that is why you will see a lot of veggie dishes and also sometimes two different main courses. I just thought that I'd forewarn you that I don't eat meat, but that my children and SO do.

No comments:

Post a Comment