Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Tonight's Dinner!! Yummy!!

Tonight was leftover night at our house. We had a variety of leftovers...the kids chose to eat pizza and ALthea ate some of the soup that she had enjoyed so much. I ate the soup and the following salad and Shane also enjoyed the salad but had the rest of the curry. We have lots of leftover salad for lunch tomorrow and I am going to whip up something of Rachael's since we have talked about going out to dinner as a family tomorrow. If we don't go out to dinner then we will be eating something from one of Rachael's recipes.

I did choose to make a salad of Rachael's to go with our leftover feast.

Fennel, Celery, Portabello, and Parmigiano Reggiano Salad

Ingredients
1 fennel bulb (So, I had a problem with this one as my grocery store only had one fennel and it was not looking too fresh so I chose to use two leeks instead of the one fennel bulb.)
1 red onion
1 celery bulb, darkest green stalks removed (I used five stalks of regular celery as Shane is not a big celery fan.)
5 or 6 crimini mushrooms (I used a handful of already sliced crimini mushrooms.)
A handful of fresh basil (I was out of basil so I used a handful of fresh cilantro.)
A handful of fresh parsley
2 Tbs EVOO
Juice of one lemon
Salt and Pepper

Preparation

Cut fennel bulb in half and thinly slice each half until completely shredded and dump into a big bowl. (I cut the dark green parts from the two leeks and discarded them. I then chose to cut them in half and slice them very thinly.) Remove outler layers of the red onion and slice in half. Slice onion halves thin and add to the fennel slices. Thinly slice celery, starting at bottom of the heart and working your way through to the tips of the stalks. Add to fennel and onions. Thinly slice mushrooms and herbs and add to the fennel.

(I chose to add a small bag (5 oz) of shredded parmesan and mix this into the fennel and toss prior to adding the dressisng or instead of serving with the cheese as a garnish)

In a separate bowl, whisk together EVOO, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Add the dressing to the fennel mixture and toss. Serve.


This salad was great and it was very very pretty. It would be a great option to serve for a family dinner or when we are entertaining friends or family.

No comments:

Post a Comment