Friday, February 19, 2010

The Start to My Journey

So, after watching Julie and Julia some time ago, I thought that the premise of the movie was great. I loved the way that blog was created and all of the things that Julie was able to learn about herself as she forced herself to follow through with something for a year.

As for me, well I have a bad habbit of being lazy in the kitchen. I have been guilty of creating too many unhealthy foods and not working hard enough to give my family a healthy meal each night.

That is about to change!

I am challenging myself to make at least one of Rachael Ray's recipes each day for a year. I want to make sure that I cook a good solid meal for my family on a regular basis and I know that since her recipes are quicker and easier than most, I am more likely to stick with it.

There will be times, I am sure that I just make a side of Rachael's and something of my own but I am confident that I will be able to do this and to be able to do a good job as well.

Since there is no day like today, I am starting my journey tonight. I have my week's menu planned and I have went grocery shopping for the groceries that I needed to get. I have nine days of meals and recipes planned out.

So if you are wondering what's going to be for dinner at my house, you can look at the short menu list below. Each day, I will provide a link to the recipe (most of which are gotten on Rachael's website), the recipe, and a quick review of what my family thought about it. I will give my honest opinions and will be letting you know when I entertain how others enjoyed the food as well.

Friday (Tonight)--mozzerella salad, Penne with Vodka Sauce, Pearl Onions, and Peas, and Garlic Bread--all of these are Rachael's recipes...plus we're having company over so we'll see what happens

Saturday--sweet and hot slaw (Rachael's recipe) and vegetable curry with rice (my own and yes these will be included on the day as well)

Sunday--monkey buns (breakfast--Rachael's recipe), tacos for dinner (my own recipe)

Monday--ginger carrot slaw (Rachael's recipe) and egg rolls (my own recipe)

Tuesday--Tortellini Soup (Rachael's recipe)

Wednesday--cracker and parmesan crusted fish (Rachael's recipe) with veggies and rice

Thursday--fennel, celery, portabella, and parmesan salad (Rachael's recipe) and spaghetti (my own)

Friday--vegetable stew with potato and cheese pancakes (Rachael's recipes)

Saturday--Tomato and red onion salad with lime cilantro dressing (Rachael's recipe) and cereal coated fish (my own recipe)

Sunday--Fish with rice and green beans (my recipes) and peanut butter brownie cups (Rachael's recipe)

On occasion I will be substiuting some things on Rachael's menu in order to be able to make the meal more of something that myself and my family will like but all in all they will be hers and changes that I make will be noted.

Please feel free to leave comments and let me know what you think of the recipes or what I am trying to do. I am trying to lose weight and have a healthier family.

No comments:

Post a Comment